Harmful Effects Of A Wet Basement

Friday, June 24th, 2011 by Parker Delmolino

We dry wet basementsA wet basement can be more than just an eye sore in your home. If you let water reside in your basement, you’re putting your family’s health at risk! This article will illustrate how water buildup will affect your family’s health and potentially ruin your home’s foundation.


It is important to get rid of the water that you may have in your basement, as mold can easily grow in the presence of water. A wet basement makes your family susceptible to the health hazards associated with mold. Infants, the elderly, and people with poor immune systems are more likely to be affected by the health hazards associated with mold.

Mold has different effects on different people. The most common effects of mold growth in your house are: a higher susceptibility to becoming sick and a getting a sinus infection. The mold spores can trigger allergic reactions and even asthma attacks in more sensitive people.

One effect of mold that will be the same for any home is the musty aroma that it creates.

The worst type of mold is black mold. Black mold, also known as “toxic mold,” poses severe health risks for your family. The effects of black mold include, but are not limited to, respiratory problems, sinus congestion, watery eyes, dry cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, chronic fatigue, skin irritation, and even problems with the central nervous system.

Structural Damage

Water buildup or even the presence of moisture in your basement can lead to structural damage in your house. The footing and foundation are most severely affected by water or moisture in your basement.

Water tends to gather by the foundation of your house. If the water is there for too long a period of time, then the soil becomes soft. The soft soil allows the heavy weight of your house to push down, causing your house to sink lower into the ground. Your house will most likely not sink symmetrically, thus cracks tend form in your foundation.

If your backfill becomes saturated with water, it can become heavier, which may exert a lot of pressure on the foundation sidewall. Eventually the sidewall cannot resist the pressure and moves slightly inward, creating a horizontal split in the interior part of your foundation. The split weakens your wall, and reduces its waterproofing qualities. It is now easier for water to get into your house, creating a higher possibility of mold growth.


Mold and structural damage can go unnoticed for a long period of time without being a problem. Unfortunately this can change quickly, leaving you with a huge bill to pay. It is a hassle and a financial burden to remove mold and fix structural damages. In order to prevent your home from deteriorating, waterproofing is a must!

Protect your family and your house by waterproofing your home. It’s as easy as contacting Quality 1st Basement Systems of New York to get your free in-home inspection for Brownstone basement waterproofing and all surrounding NY areas.